Wednesday 11 January 2012

TipTopSwiss 11:366

Recycling is a serious business in Switzerland and this is what happens when you don't get it right! The dreaded pink sticker is slapped on your bundle and it is left behind to shame you! The 'crime' with this bundle was that the 'bundler' mixed paper and cardboard. Whilst they are collected at the same time, they must be separate.

There are various words for rubbish in German - der Müll, der Abfall, der Biomüll and so on. You put der Abfall in die Mülltonne in a special (very expensive!) Gebührensack from which der Müllmann collects it.

3 comments:

  1. Know exactly what you mean! Since my accident, I have trouble when it comes to tie a knot that is strong enough to keep the bundle together, so I filled my newspaper (no cardboard) in a paper bag. Wouldn't do! It need's to be tied … Once it's tied, you CAN, however, put it in a paper bag … We are a very neat and tidy people, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, funny :). Never seen these pink stickers in my part of Switzerland. But of course we have to tie our bundles neatly, too.
    I was once told off by our janitor for putting my bundle on the wrong side of the lamp post next to our road. Suppose the "paper collectors" would have found my bundle anyway. But to be sure I put it where it belonged :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments ladies! Things like this really amuse me - I think it's great to be so tidy and efficient but sometimes it gets a bit extreme! The obsessive leaf collecting is another thing that has really 'tickled' me!!

    ReplyDelete